From the new moon in Virgo to the new moon in Libra (Sept 14 to Oct 14, 2023), I am embarking on a “Choose Love” challenge. It’s a resolution to consciously embrace the path of love over fear for a month. I invite you to join me?
Why Choose Love?
Every day I work in human misery. I hear the worst stories. I don’t watch the news or engage much in social media, but the same energy is there, too.
All of it could be changed in an instant by choosing love.
I’m not the kind of person who points fingers and blames. I don’t tell other people what to do, but I do take responsibility for what I can change. And I can change myself. And that’s why I am starting with me and inviting you to join me. You in?
Ideas For How to Choose Love
How you do the challenge is up to you. However, I understand that anything is easier with a little push to get started, so I am going to give you some ideas here on how to consciously choose love. Feel free to leave your ideas in the comments. More is more!
- Ho-oponopono-This is an ancient Hawaiian practice to bring things back into a space of balance. It’s been modified for mainstream American usage.
- Loving Kindness-This meditation can create peace within and outside of you in a very short period of time.
- Let go of an emotional debt. Keep your healthy boundaries, but forget about the grudge.
- Send a cheerful daily text to either the same person or different people for the next 30 days.
- Write a gratitude letter each day telling the recipient of something specific that they did to make the world a better place.
- Catch yourself in the middle of negative self-talk and end it with “until now.” For example: I am such a jerk… until now. Proceed as if you have neutralized the negative statement.
- Smile from your heart for no reason. Do it when no one is around. Do it when others are around. Just do it.
- Laugh out loud. Let the joy inside of you spill out around you.
- Practice random acts of kindness. Be nice for no reason to people you don’t know.
- Leave a flower at the desk of a co-worker.
- Who sends cards anymore? You can!
- Practice lovespeak. Lovespeak is the conscious choosing of kind words vs. harsh, ugly ones.
- Write down what you are grateful for in a journal or a jar. You can’t write the same thing twice! Notice the little things. Give details.
- Sing love songs with gusto.
- Write a poem! Adore something enough to give it life with beautiful words.
- Encourage someone.
- Notice when someone needs help and give it.
- Prioritize your self-care. Take that long bath. Get your hair done. Go to sleep early. Love starts with you!
- Food is love. Treat someone to something special or a whole meal.
- Share a glass of wine with someone you haven’t seen in a while.
- Have some peaceful alone time.
- Compliment others.
- Dance. What a great way to let your sunshine out, eh?
- Listen without judgment or interrupting.
- Communicate openly and honestly.
- Let yourself feel your feelings. Pushing them away is a way to say, “This is not me. This is not good.” All of you is “good.”
- Give someone else the limelight.
- If it’s appropriate, hug someone or give them physical affection. Or be open to receiving it.
- Write funny, loving sayings or make sweet pictures for someone else to find.
- Be accountable for the things you do to create disconnection or distrust. Apologize. Change the behavior.
- Be nonjudgmental.
- Limit your contact with those who can’t give or receive love yet. Set yourself up for success. We want to make it through the 30 days!
- Ask someone how they are doing. Listen to the answer.
- When you are talking with someone, give them your undivided attention. No multi-tasking.
- Share your enthusiasm with someone who amplifies it. Build on it.
- Show up as you are. Be present.
- Give yourself grace when you’re not loving or perfect.
- Write a love letter to yourself.
- Let go of getting love back.
- Respect those who are not respectful. Their attitude is not about you, but yours is.
- Practice the feeling of love in a 2 minute daily meditation. Everyone can do two minutes!
- Love yourself first. Prioritize your well-being and only give when you have something in your reserve tank.
- Relax. Love flows more easily when you’re relaxed.
- Ask for help. If you need a coach, mentor, or spirit guide to lean on, it’s easier to trust that you’re on the right path.
- Find your happy place. Go there.
- Allow things to be as they are. This is the highest expression of love. The nature of everything is good.
- Feel and receive the goodwill that is always flowing your way.
- No matter what happens, return to the intention to love.
- Love often. Love everyone.
Love is the elixir that heals and inspires. Let’s create more and give it all away!